I am Reading

This blog is all about what I am reading and sharing my reading with you. I will recommend books for grown up reading and children to read.

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Poldark: Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham

Jeremy Poldark is the third book in the Poldark series by Winston Graham and carries on where the second book, Demelza, left off in the lives of Ross and Demelza Poldark, their relatives, friends and enemies.

This is the front cover and blurb:



This was a hard book to track down.  I bought the first two books and eventually got round to reading them once work permitted several months later.  Despite having already watched the first series of the BBC 2015 TV series (a second series was commissioned and has aired), I devoured these books quickly and was soon keen to know the outcome of Ross' arrest at the end of the second book and first TV series. 

But, alas, Jeremy Poldark was an elusive book on the shelves of Whitcoulls and Paper Plus.  I would ask, and I would be told that the book was sold out.  But then, at Paper Plus in Te Awamutu, I struck gold with one of the sales team who looked it up on their computer and was able to order me in a copy.  But now I find I can not access the next six books in the series... the seventh book being the only other book available for purchase currently through the Paper Plus website!

As I alluded to earlier, this book deals with the aftermath of Ross being arrested at the end of the Demelza book for murder, inciting a riot and ship wrecking.  These charges weigh heavily on Ross and he nearly sinks his own defence in an effort to remain true to the facts and his own beliefs.  Meanwhile Demelza is determined to help Ross, and endeavours to create new friendships and use her charm to create influence with the court magistrate.

During this time, Francis has a crisis of his conscious in his dealings with the Warleggans and his loyalty to Ross; Francis and Verity attempt to mend fences with each other; Ross and Francis mend their relationship and endeavour to go into business together; George Warleggan attempts to thwart justice and derail Ross financially; Francis and Captain Blamey come to a truce; Verity meets her step children; and Demelza hides the fact she is pregnant from Ross and her jealousy of Elizabeth threatens to derail the love she and Ross share.

Despite the fact that the book is called Jeremy Poldark, he is not mentioned directly until the very end of the second to last chapter.  The book following this book is called Warleggan, but I don't know when I will be able to read it, if at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment