I am Reading

This blog is all about what I am reading and sharing my reading with you. I will recommend books for grown up reading and children to read.

Friday 3 March 2017

The Cloud Leopard's Daughter by Deborah Challinor

I am a big Deborah Challinor fan and I have reviewed a number of her books previously, including Behind the Sun, Girl of ShadowsThe Silk Thief, and A Tattooed Heart.


In November, Challinor released the fourth book in her series The Smuggler's Wife about Kitty, Rian, Amber and the crew of the Katipo, The Cloud Leopard's Daughter.  This book follows on from Kitty, Amber and Band of Gold.  I have read all this series, but The Cloud Leopard's Daughter will be the first in this series I have reviewed.  Perhaps when I get my book collection out of storage I will go back and review these novels from earlier in the series.


Here is the front cover and blurb:






The Cloud Leopard's Daughter picks up in 1863, nearly a decade after Band of Gold, with the crew of the Katipo III entering the Dunedin Harbour enroute to see their old friend Wong Fu from the Ballarat goldfields in Band of Gold.  He has a huge favour to ask of Kitty and Rian and their crew: to find his kidnapped daughter Bao.


Bao has been kidnapped because Wong Fu is the Cloud Leopard, a tong master.  Bao is his heir.  Wong Fu's brother, Wong Kai, however wants the title for himself.  Kitty and Rian agree to find Bao and rescue her from her fate.


The crew of the Katipo III find themselves travelling to Sydney where Rian re-news his aquaintance with Friday and Aria (begun in The Girl of Shadows and again in A Tattooed Heart), the Phillipines and Hong Kong in their quest for rescuing Bao.  They face many dangers from Wong Kai and others, as well as a traitor within their own midst.


It is a riveting read, and I polished off the book quickly (surprise, surprise) because, as usual, Challinor writes a book that you just can not put down at the end of a chapter.  Cliff hangers have you wanting to continue the reading despite starvation and sleep deprivation.  Besides, when you are reading with a view like this to glance up to, you can see I was hardly deprived really....



















No comments:

Post a Comment